Effective Date: 01 February 2020
At Barrons London Ltd, we understand that your privacy is important to you and that you care about how your personal data is used and shared by us. We respect and value the privacy of everyone who visits our offices and will only collect and use personal data in ways that are described here, and in a manner that is consistent with our obligations and your rights under the law.
We may update this Privacy Notice from time to time (for example, if the law changes) so we recommend that you check with us periodically to ensure that you’re satisfied with any changes.
Information About Us
Our offices are operated by Barrons London Ltd, a limited company registered in England under company number 12012177 whose registered address is 135 Leman Street, London, England, E1 8EY.
We are regulated by The Property Ombudsman. We are registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office and our registration number is ZA558568. This Privacy Notice was last amended 01 February 2020. It supersedes any earlier version.
What This Notice Covers
This Privacy Notice sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you through our website or via other methods you may communicate with us, will be processed by us. We advertise our properties in various social platforms, please note that we have no control over how your data is collected, stored, or used by other websites. We therefore advise you to check the privacy policies of any such websites before providing any data to them.
Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it, including:
- What information is being collected if you are a prospective or existing customer?
- Use of the information we collect
- What is the source of the information we collect?
- Data retention
- Disclosure of information
- Third party websites
- Your rights
What information is being collected if you are a prospective or existing customer?
We may collect personal information from you, including such personal information as:
- your name, email address, telephone number, property address and details of your requirements, or use an online form to arrange a viewing, register for property alerts, request a valuation or submit an enquiry;
- documentary proof of your identification;
- cookie data which relates to your use of our site;
- data sent from your browser to our server which may include:
- the time, date and duration of your visit to our site;
- the site from which you have come (the referral URL);
- the pages visited on our site; and o your IP address.
We may also collect information from you in connection with a service or product provided to you by us, including personal information such as:
- your name, postal address, phone number, email address and details of your requirements where you engage us to provide letting agency services on your behalf either in branch, at your property, by telephone or by email;
- where appropriate your marital status, date of birth, nationality and tax status when you enter into a lettings agreement with us;
- financial or other identifiers including your bank account details, tax URN number and income/expenditure details where we manage a financial transaction for you or take payment for the services which we provide to you;
- your date of birth, nationality and other details from identity documents which you provide to us where we are required by law to carry out know your client anti-money laundering and right to rent checks and the results of those checks;
- details of any mortgage or insurance, any licensing documentation and service contracts which you have in place in relation to a property you wish to let, where you are a landlord and we are providing you with letting services;
- your employment details, national insurance number, nationality, residential status, bank details and credit history when carrying out referencing and credit checks and the results of those checks;
- details relating to your property including photographs, floor plans, energy performance certificate ratings/home reports, property description and survey results when you engage us to market a property for you;
- photographs of your property, when marketing your property to let, preparing an inspection report on the condition of your property or when preparing an inventory to record the condition of your property at the start or end of a tenancy;
- your contact details, move in date, utility meter serial number and meter readings where you are a landlord or tenant, prior to a tenant moving in to a property and when the tenant moves out;
- your move in and move out date and details of the deposit you have paid if you are a tenant when registering or releasing any deposit from a deposit protection scheme;
- your client reference number and the balance of any debt which you owe when we are required to take steps to collect a debt or take possession of a property; and
- references relating to you, or information required to prepare a reference for you where you are a tenant.
In what circumstances will your special data and criminal disclosures be collected?
We may have collected personal information from you which is of a sensitive nature. Where we have done so we treat this information in accordance with the additional protection it is given under data protection laws. Where you have asked us to help you with your insurance needs, in particular life insurance and insurance that may assist you in the event of an accident or illness, we will ask you information about your ethnic origin, your health and medical history (including the health and medical history of your family where appropriate) (Special Data). We record and use your Special Data in order to meet any obligation we may have to progress your transaction to completion including dealing with any enquiries of us that may be raised by your prospective insurance provider.
Use of the information we collect
Your information will be used by us in connection with the following purposes:
Providing You with Services:
- letting services;
- to protect a tenant’s deposit by registering it with a deposit protection scheme;
- to take payment from you for the services which we provide;
- to process the receipt and payment of rent, maintenance and for you if a property is being let;
- to arrange an energy performance certificate or home report inspection for you;
- to arrange an inventory check or to prepare a report on the condition of a property if it is being let;
- to carry out maintenance or gas safety checks at your property if it is being let;
- to ensure that utilities are in place and that utility companies and local authorities are able to contact you for billing purposes when you move in to a property;
- to carry out tenant referencing and credit checks to assess if you are creditworthy before you move in to a property. To carry out such checks, we may share your personal information with credit referencing companies, please refer to the ‘disclosure of information’ section below for further details;
- to better understand your requirements and provide you with services specific to your needs;
- to improve our services by analysing your personal information so we better understand how you use our services;
- to keep our client records up to date;
Marketing of Our Services to You:
- to provide you with general updates in relation to the property market, in accordance with your preferences;
- to provide you with information which we reasonably believe may be relevant to you based on the services we are providing to you;
- to carry out targeted advertising to you on social media websites such as Facebook where you have already shown an interest in our services. This is done through analysing information we collect about your interactions on our site and making this available to social media networks;
Responding to Your queries:
- to help answer any questions which you have asked one of our agents or staff members;
- to provide you with a quote for our services;
Improving our site:
- to analyse cookie and website usage data to keep improving our site;
- to allow us to customise the content which is presented to you based on your likely interests;
Legal and Regulatory Obligations:
- to comply with applicable laws where we are obliged to retain and/or disclose certain information;
- to investigate or address claims or complaints relating to your use of our services;
- for internal and external auditing purposes;
- to carry out anti-money laundering checks;
- to carry out right to rent checks;
- to comply with any other legal or regulatory obligations which apply to us;
- to transfer information to any entity which may acquire rights in us;
- to collect a debt which is owed to us; and
- for onward referencing where you are a tenant.
The legal basis upon which we deal with your information
Wherever we collect or use your personal information, we will make sure we do this for a valid legal reason. This will be for at least one of the following purposes:
- because it is necessary to support the legitimate interests of our business and providing letting agency services in relation efficiently meeting your needs – in all such cases, we will look after your information at all times in a way that is proportionate and respects your privacy rights and you have a right to object to processing as explained in the section on Your Rights below;
- to meet responsibilities we have to our regulators, tax officials, law enforcement, or otherwise meet our legal responsibilities
- where we have obtained a clear consent from you – we will always make it clear when we need your consent and how you can withdraw and change your permissions at any time thereafter.
The personal information that you provide will be retained by us in accordance with applicable laws and our internal Retention Policy. However, we will take reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify personal information we hold if it is no longer needed for the purposes set out above. We will only hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant purpose for which it was collected. A copy of our is available on request.
Disclosure of information
The information you provide to us will be held on our computers in the and may be accessed by or given to our staff for the purposes set out in this Privacy Notice or for other purposes approved by you.
We may also disclose your information to the third parties listed below for the following purposes:
- service providers who need to know the information in order to provide us or you with a product or service including our approved contractors for the purpose of carrying out maintenance or gas safety checks at your property, removal companies;
- law enforcement bodies and/or other regulatory entities in order to comply with any legal obligation or court order including the police, HMRC and local authorities;
- third parties we work with as part of providing our services and their associated companies and sub-contractors, including (but not limited to) IT administrators, inventory clerks, photographers, utility companies, marketing and transactional communication companies, energy performance certificate companies, companies that facilitate electronic signature of documents and relocation agents;
- referencing companies to check your credit worthiness and to help prevent fraud and money laundering, the check will leave a soft ID footprint on your credit file which not affect your credit rating;
- social media networks such as Facebook for marketing purposes as explained in the ‘use of the information we collect’ section of this Privacy Notice;
- debt collection companies to assist us in collecting any monies which you owe to us where payment is overdue;
- our professional advisers, for the purpose of assisting us to better manage, support or develop our business and comply with our legal and regulatory obligations;
- third parties as necessary in the event of a claim or dispute relating to the use of our services;
- if we are providing you with letting services we may share your personal information with:
- the landlord, or tenant or their guarantor to comply with our legal obligations including our obligation to keep the landlord fully informed where we manage a property on their behalf and to allow you to contact each other directly in circumstances where the landlord is managing the property;
- a tenancy deposit scheme for the purpose of providing tenancy deposit protection; and
- The Property Ombudsman scheme where they are providing an alternative dispute resolution service in connection with the letting services which we are providing to you.
These parties may be located in the UK or elsewhere in the world where different privacy laws may apply which may not offer the same level of protection as UK law. We only make these arrangements or transfers where we are satisfied that adequate levels of protection are in place to protect any information held in that country and that the service provider acts at all times in compliance with applicable privacy laws.
We use the information you provide us with to keep you informed about products or services which we provide and which we believe you may be interested in. Where we conduct marketing we do so in accordance with applicable laws.
Where you contact us through the ‘contact’ page of our site, or make an enquiry in branch or on the phone, you can subscribe to our general property marketing by email.
If, at any time, you prefer not to receive further communications from us (except in connection with information, products or services that you specifically request), you will have the ability to unsubscribe from such communications by means of a link provided in every message that is sent to you by us or by contacting us.
We may however contact you in future by phone or by post where we reasonably believe (on the basis of services that we are providing to you) that there are additional, different services which you may be interested in. We rely on legitimate interests as a lawful basis for processing your information to conduct this above marketing and we ensure you always have the right to opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us.
We do not pass on your information to other companies for their own marketing purposes.
Third party websites
Our site may contain links to other websites. We accept no responsibility or liability for the content of other websites which are not under our strict control, in particular, we are not responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting other websites and such sites are not governed by our Privacy Notice.
We employ security measures which aim to protect the information provided by you from access by unauthorised persons and against unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction or damage. We also expect you to take reasonable steps to safeguard your own privacy when transferring information to us, such as not sending confidential information over unprotected email, ensuring email attachments are password protected or encrypted and only using secure methods of postage when original documentation is sent to us.
Under data protection laws you have the right to protect and look after your personal data.
The data protection laws provide you with the following rights, however some of these rights depend on the circumstances:
- The right to be informed about the information we hold about you and what we do with it;
- The right of access to information held by us and whom it is shared with;
- The right to rectify any information we hold about you;
- The right to erase any and all data held by us about you;
- The right to restrict processing of your data, this mean you can tell us how you want us to use your data;
- The right to object to the processing of your personal data at any time
- The right to data portability, this means you can ask us to provide you with a copy of your information in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, and the right to have that data transmitted to another controller;
- Right To be informed about the mechanics of automated decision-taking process that will significantly affect you and request human intervention.
If you have questions or comments about our Privacy Notice or if you wish to exercise your right to access, correction or erasure mentioned above, please contact our Data Protection Officer by:
Post: 135 leman Street London E1 8EY; or
Telephone: +44(0)20 8127 5090
If you have any concerns or complaints as to how we have handled your personal data, you may lodge a complaint with us using the contact details above. Alternatively, you can lodge a complaint with the UK’s data protection regulator, the ICO, who can be contacted through their website at here or by writing to Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF.
Updated on 01 February 2020